Author Topic: WHO'S UP FOR US DOING A RAFFLE ?  (Read 11579 times)

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
WHO'S UP FOR US DOING A RAFFLE ?
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:54:29 »
How do you fancy us doing a Raffle ?

We've been donated another fantastic prize - a full blown Tug Kit - The Works !

I thought instead of a competition what about doing a raffle for it, 1 ($2) a ticket type thing !

What do you think or would you prefer a comp, if so what type of comp ?

I thought we have'nt had a raffle before and it would also help with raising funds for the website.

What do you, the members, think ?

TugMaster
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:10:51 by TugMaster »
Ok, so I like a drop !

manxman

Re: WHO'S UP FOR US DOING A RAFFLE ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:50:44 »
Good evening TugMaster,

Not keen on the raffle idea, just give it to me instead! :), as it then turns into just luck. Not too sure on the legality of it (do you need a licence? although we have a small raffle at each club meeting.

Much prefer a competition, much more fun, had no chance against the oracles in the first comp but had a great time trying.  How about a "spot the difference" type, or put photies of yourself, Tango and Tugs53 up an we have to spot who's the good looking one - No, forget that idea - too hard ! ;D

Cheers - Kenny
No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 23:13:16 »
Have to think about this one.......Manxman does have a good point, rafles have to be licenced, or at least they used to...Law may  have changed....Needs checking.....Payment may be a problem for some long distance members who don't have a paypal account......Just thoughts and will get back on the issue...

Barry

PS......Don't give it Manxman.....Give it me......Its time a "Foreigner" won.......And I can bribe Tugmaster and Tango better than he can...... ;D ;D
Barry

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 23:18:17 »
Done some homework and find below an explanation...

http://www.rnib.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/public_fr_holdraffle.hcsp

I think this will fall nto the public raffle and as such probably needs a icence, but from who and where I do not know as it will be internet based...Got a headache again :'( :'(
Barry

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 00:49:50 »
I think we are ok as there is no profit that is going to be made and all monies received are to keep a non profit making organisation going. Dunno. Everybody and their dog seems to do a raffle, just thought it would be nice for us to for a bit of fun !

TugMaster
Ok, so I like a drop !

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 01:04:07 »
Oh master of the seas.........I totally agree with you....grovel grovel........ >:D
Barry

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 02:13:40 »
Now why can't Manxman be like that eh, Footski ! ...lol

Manxman just makes me out to be some kind of drunk 
Ok, so I like a drop !

manxman

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 03:22:34 »
You hate grovellers ... always trying to get you to buy THEM a drink !
Especially foreign ones and the filthy habits they have - putting Sangria on their cornflakes.  Why can't they have a traditional English breakfast - Guinness and cornflakes !

Talking of which I've just seen you knock back 5 shots without taking a breath ... (like the new smiley)

Kenny
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 03:24:11 by manxman »
No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

thelongbuild

• Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:17:31 »
Rather than a raffle, just call it "a donation to the Forum" , and all those who donated are then put into a hat..and may win a prize. Also as a forum is a group of like minded people it could technically be called a club. 
The only thing I would suggest is that the whole thing is videoed just to cover yourself.

We host a raffle each year for the last 20 at the swimming club , never had a problem, reality is that you need licences for  a lot of things but is anybody going to chase you about it.

(your not supposed to keep tv recordings for more than 30 days) never heard of a case yet.

Just call it something other than a raffle.
Next Build M.S.C Volant after 1 other.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 05:33:37 »
You hate grovellers ... always trying to get you to buy THEM a drink !
Especially foreign ones and the filthy habits they have - putting Sangria on their cornflakes.  Why can't they have a traditional English breakfast - Guinness and cornflakes !

Talking of which I've just seen you knock back 5 shots without taking a breath ... (like the new smiley)

Kenny

What can I say...Brilliant...
Barry

Franklin

• There's nothing like a Double Rum!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 11:39:34 »
I think a Raffle is a good idea as far as raising cash for the maitenence of the web site, But i don't see any value in it otherwise. If it is decided it is to be a raffle, we will each pay the required amount, Then wait patiently for the winner. Would it not be better to have all members pay maybe $20.00 a year? It is a small price to pay for a site such as this.The first competion really made members dig for answers and in the process learned more about the hobby and Tugs in general.

I think we all realize that running a website requires money and "Alot of someones time".

**Whether there is a Raffle or not, Maybe it is time we contributed to the site we use so often***

Lee
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:43:27 by Franklin »

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:50:38 »
Franklin,

Whilst I agree with your principal. and would be more than happy to pay up on an annual basis; as would many of our members, I can see problems with this idea in attracting new members; who won't know how good it is until they have been members for some time...These people would be loathed to part with cash.....particularly when there are stes available that do not charge..

I think this would need some careful consideration..and maybe another poll of members..

Barry
Barry

bigford

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 12:44:37 »
if we donate money do we get the password for the nudie part of the forum?

i think a raffle is a good idea! but a better idea is to donate the boat
to the *bigford foundation* of behalf of needy boaters
more boats then money

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 13:51:38 »
Nice try Bigford !!

The main forum site will always be free but maybe sometime I'll sort out a donations "site sponsorer" button. Perhaps donators get access to other parts of the forum  8) ....There are a few G00GIe ad$ which we do get a few cents from each time they are cli cked which help maintenance cost ...so always have a look !

Some interesting comments and views. Thanks.

We'll keep this thread going for a bit and see what other views are out there and then decide ...comp or raffle.

Thanks for your input

TugMaster

Ok, so I like a drop !

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 14:46:24 »
Raffle definatly a dammed good idea lets go for it

Stavros
OVER HERE PERMAMENTLY TO HAVE A QUIET LIFE