Author Topic: Svitzer FERRIBY  (Read 8839 times)

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
Re: Svitzer FERRIBY
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2019, 02:20:28 »
Morning Chum
Nice tug you have built have you had it on the water

Jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

chum444

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2019, 02:47:49 »
Thank you folks. It has been in the water at the early stages of construction for ballast testing. That splash was an indicator that learning to control those Schottel drives will take awhile. Hope for more sail time soon.
 Lot more work to do.

chum444

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2019, 09:37:14 »
After finishing BUGSIER 18, back to work on FERRIBY.

chum444

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2019, 11:11:08 »
Any of you folks have photos of FERRIBY’s tow winch? Particularly looking for details of the gearbox,port, side.

Thanks in advance.

chum444

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2019, 09:18:14 »
I’ve been working on the tow winch. Some photos of the start of construction.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:19:54 by chum444 »

chum444

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2019, 09:21:50 »
Winch completed prior to installation.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2019, 10:26:56 »
Good work Bill.

des

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2019, 13:21:36 »
Looks good - did you build it yourself from scratch, or is it a kit?

I'm guessing that this is the forward towing winch, as it has the anchor chain gypsy as well.

Des

chum444

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2019, 13:58:55 »
The hull is a modified TIGER KING hull. Not exactly the FERRIBY’s hull form but the closest I could find. Since there was a less than zero chance of obtaining the lines from Damen, a scratch built true to type hull was impossible. FERRIBY only has a forward winch.Everything else scratch built.
A few more photos of the winch in place after installing the bulwarks.

Thanks folks for the nice comments.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 14:01:24 by chum444 »

Kev30

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2019, 16:02:01 »
Hi Chum
Yeah your right zero chance of getting any hull lines from Damen for your Ferriby model and any Damen design come to that. Also any tug design by Robert Allen the Canadian boat / ship designer is the same you might be lucky with a general arrangement drawing but hull lines they won't release. Good interesting project your doing there Chum.
Regards

Kevin

chum444

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2019, 16:55:05 »
Kev,
 The photos you so kindly provided were a tremendous help. If you have ever done a model using proportional measurements from a GA drawing and or photos you know that eventually scaling errors will show up. Certainly the case here but I feel fortunate they seem to be rather minimal but obvious if you know where to look.
 Thanks again for your assistance.

Kev30

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2019, 14:04:35 »
No problem Chum that's what these forums are here for exchanging info etc. I actually enjoy taking photo's of the tugs I'm building as it makes it easier to build your model as you also take a tape measure to take relevant dimensions so you can scale these down. I was working in Newcastle UK for 4 months some years ago and managed to get a morning off work to go and take pictures etc of the Svitzer tug Fiery Cross based at Middlesbrough as I had arranged through their office to go on board the tug. I arrived at the Svitzer base at 09.00 and never got out the car for the first hour and a half as it was absolutely hammering down with rain. I've got back since but Boro was 30 miles south of Newcastle not 272 that it is from Bristol???
If I'm down near Southampton again Chum I'll look out for both Damen tugs working for Svitzer the Harty and the Ferriby and post some more pics on to you. If you go on the SMS towage website they have a new Damen tug based on the river Humber the Manxman I'm not 100% sure how it compares to the Svitzer tugs in layout etc.

Regards
Kevin