Author Topic: Svitzer FERRIBY  (Read 14120 times)

chum444

Re: Svitzer FERRIBY
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2019, 04:26:06 »
All photos were taken with the hull in its cradle. The first & third shots were taken in portrait mode; the second in landscape. This forum , & others, apparently will not accept photos in portrait mode without rotating them. Or I don’t know how to get around that issue. ??? If there is a way perhaps someone will post the procedure.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 04:29:01 by chum444 »

des

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2019, 14:40:13 »
I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when I made that comment - I'm sorry if I offended you.

All I do is to preview my photos using Windows Photo Viewer.  If the shot was taken in Portrait orientation, Viewer will display that shot rotated - ie, in Landscape.  So I use the Viewer's Rotate function to turn the shot the right way up - back into Portrait orientation.  Then, when you move onto the next photo the Viewer automatically saves the photo in its new, correct orientation.

Then, when you upload the photo to the Forum it appears right way up.

Reading back on this it sounds more confusing than it really is.

Des.

chum444

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2019, 17:16:42 »
No offense at all. Problem seems to be with iCloud, iPhone, etc. same thing in other forums. I will figure it out.

des

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2019, 17:35:31 »
There's your problem - the i-thingy.

chum444

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2019, 05:31:09 »
Photos of FERRIBY as completed.

chum444

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2019, 05:33:43 »
More.

chum444

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2019, 05:37:11 »
Last ones.

JEno

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2019, 14:57:47 »
Some wicked nice lookin Bill. Will she grace Roger's Pond next year?
Jonathan

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2019, 16:15:25 »
Really nice Bill. Well done.

chum444

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2019, 18:07:21 »
Thank you guys. This one was my most challenging build. Hopefully it will run well. Haven’t had it in the water since ballast testing.
Jeno...Rogers Pond next year you bet.

Kev30

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2019, 02:01:59 »
Hi Chum
Your model looks really good hope it performs well on the water. Thanks for posting your build on this website as it's interesting how you accomplished the final result and methods you used.

Regards
Kevin

chum444

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2019, 12:51:49 »
All, once again I want to thank Kevin for his generous posting of FERRIBY photos. They were invaluable for the details I could include.

Merry Christmas to all.

Bill

des

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2019, 16:11:40 »
Nice job - well done!  But can we have a couple of shots of the "business end" - props & nozzles, and inner shots of drives?  I haven't read back yet, but is it powered by Schottels?

Do you mind me asking - how long did it take to build?  And before that,  how long did it take in the planning stage?  And why, living in the US, did you choose to model a British tug (with an Australian connection)?

I really hope it goes well for you on the water.

What's the next one?

Des.

chum444

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2019, 05:07:22 »
Des,
 My reply will be rather lengthy so will do it in more than one post.

Why FERRIBY?
 In June, 2017, my wife & I took a cruise that originated from Southampton. Originally I recalled that FERRIBY had been an assist tug when we left the Dock. Looking back I am not certain that was true. However, MARINA was docked at the very end of the quay (is that the correct term?) and FERRIBY and two other Svitzer tugs (EASTON one of them)were clearly visible off our stb’d aft quarter.
I did see FERRIBY underway a couple of times and immediately appreciated the lines. All the above was my motivation for the build.

Length of planning phase?
The biggest challenge was to find a hull close to a Damen 2411. I spent about a month searching for a hull that would approximate a 2411 hull with dimensions close to FERRIBY. I had spent a couple weeks prior researching FERRIBY on websites including Marine Traffic, Ship Spotter, & Damen for dimensional data. Finally, Gary King’s TIGER SUN hull was the best one to modify & was the basis for the build.

So the short answer is that planning took 6-8 weeks. More to follow.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:10:09 by chum444 »

chum444

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2019, 06:16:14 »
Des,
 Continuing my lengthy reply.

Build time?
 Overall it took about two years to reach completion. The TIGER SUN hull required major modifications to approximate a Damen 2411 ASD tug. Early on through making direct contact with Svitzer in Southampton FERRIBY’s mate at the time agreed to assist. He was most generous with his time providing me with actual dimensions and photos. Otherwise I worked from the GA plans for a 2411 and photos from the web. Proportional measurements were made from both sources. Proportional measurements taken from on screen photos as well as those from printed web photos approximates reality but also introduce scale errors that eventually become apparent while building. The camera that took the photo is seldom perpendicular to the detail of interest which creates dimensional errors from lens distortion. The time involved in finding photos that captured the necessary details and making proportional calculations for each was a major time sink. Deciding how to construct components such as the Pilot house and open bulwarks  also took many hours. The photos that Kevin provided me captured details I could not find elsewhere. He & FERRIBY’s Mate were vital for me to get it as close to reality as I have done.

I will dig up some photos of the Schottel drive arrangement and include in a later post.

Long winded response but your questions caused me to reflect on how I completed a very fun-to-build project.
Bill
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:19:18 by chum444 »