Author Topic: Oh no, not another Smit Nederland !  (Read 1757 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Graham D

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 21
Oh no, not another Smit Nederland !
« on: April 01, 2019, 00:43:51 »
I'm feeling rather pleased with myself having finally ( after 3 years) completed my model of the Billings Smit Nederland.
It has independent ESCs and motors, an electronic diesel sound module, and operational lights and fog horn.
I have deviated from the plans in a number of areas including my version of the wheelhouse windows. Rather than sticking thin pieces of wood around the window openings and then attaching the windows with a painted border, I have cut the windows from 1.5mm acrylic and edged them with white tape to simulate the metal frames on the full size boat. These are then glued to the outside of the wheelhouse for what I think is a much more realistic look. The mast folds down for safety when being transported.
Painting was a mixture of spray and brush application followed by an all over coat of sprayed on satin clear.

Graham D

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 21
Re: Oh no, not another Smit Nederland !
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 00:45:10 »
More photos

des

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 483
Re: Oh no, not another Smit Nederland !
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:04:29 »
Looks good.  I like it - the "traditional" style appeals to me much more than the more modern designs.  Can we have more photos please?

Des.

sea monkey

  • Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • *
  • Posts: 1274
Re: Oh no, not another Smit Nederland !
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 15:30:04 »
Nice work Graham.
That coat of satin really worked out well.

Graham D

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 21
Re: Oh no, not another Smit Nederland !
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 20:12:53 »
More photos as requested by Des.

The mast rigging is nylon fishing line as this can be pulled tight and looks a lot like stainless wire.
The second shot shows how it can be folded down.
The radar is a micro servo that has been gutted leaving just the motor and reduction gears. With power reduced to 1 - 2volts the rpm is just right.
As I will be participating in a bit of towing I have secured the removable deck with two extensions at the rear and countersunk screws at the front. The bollards are screwed from below.

Graham D

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 21
Re: Oh no, not another Smit Nederland !
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 20:20:01 »
The power connection for the radar and lights is made via two metal contacts in front which contact the two screws in the bow which are wired to the unused 6th channel on the receiver.
The last photo shows the detail of the windows and frames. I particularly wanted to achieve the radiuses corners that the real tugs windows have.
I must come up with something better for the wipers than bits of black tape !

des

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 483
Re: Oh no, not another Smit Nederland !
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 22:33:59 »
Hi Graham

When you say that you used some white tape around the windows - is this automotive pinstripe tape?  Did you apply it to the edges and then stretch it around the "flat" of the window?  If so, how did you stop it from lifting or bubbling?

Presumably you applied the clear-coat before putting the windows in?

Des.

Graham D

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 21
Re: Oh no, not another Smit Nederland !
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 23:16:27 »
Hi Des.

Actually no and yes.
I tried initially with automotive pinstripe tape but found it just wasn't stretchy or sticky enough to stay stuck down.
In the end I found the best way was to cut white insulation tape into 4mm wide strips which could be stretched enough to form the corners and stay flat. Where the ends of the tape overlapped I secured it with a drop of ca. I found also that on some sections this tape started to lift after a few days so the solution was to carefully hit it with a heat gun, which softened the tape and adhesive, and pressed it down firmly until cooled. There were a lot of failures but eventually I was satisfied with the 23 windows.
The entire boat was sprayed with satin clear before fitting the windows which are attached with just industrial PVA glue.

Attached is a photo of one of the rejected windows to give an idea of the process.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 00:29:00 by Graham D »