Author Topic: What's up?  (Read 4040 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
What's up?
« on: May 10, 2019, 13:54:00 »
I've heard from a few guys on other forums that they have tried to sign up here and had no response a few months later?

Is the site dead?

Do we still have administrators?

Is anyone interested in keeping the site alive?

Steve

des

Re: What's up?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 14:24:40 »
Hi Steve

I had similar thoughts several months ago.  I checked the main Index page and found that the moderators for every subject are the same four members.  Then I checked the stats for each of them, and none had published for almost a year - but then one did pop up with a couple of posts.  But I haven't seen anything at all from Tugmaster for ages.

One of the moderators who has dropped away has also let his own personal webpage go dead, along with his email service which I had been using to talk with him semi-regularly.

I too have concerns for this Forum.  I would not be surprised to find it dead some time soon.  Disappointed, but not surprised.

But, don't become too disheartened - at least you have one reader.  And Toby still pops up from time to time with his Imara.  I've been engaged on another project, and haven't been doing any tug modelling for almost a year, but I'm now close to starting one or other of two models that are well advanced in the planning stage.

Des.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:03:47 »
Sad that there is so little input here, but not having a tug build in the works at the present time, its understandable.  More pond activity would be nice.

Kev30

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 12:42:28 »
Hi there
Yes I've also noticed there's been little posted on this site I had some photo's I wanted to put on here when I put the post up with my Avenger / Hibernia that I wanted to sell and now I've got Windows 10 it was a different way of reducing the size of the photo and a mate downsized it for me. Trouble is I didn't know how he did it, CAN ANYBODY HELP as I've got some photo's I can post.

Keep the forum going
Regards

Kevin

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 20:53:48 »
Hi Kev, since you are running Windows 10, there is a free app in the app store called image resize.  Lets you set the pic to any size you want.

Norm

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:17:28 »
I received an email from a fellow that has tried to join the Forum but is still waiting (over a month).
He's a keen builder and was looking forward to reviewing some older topics but unable to view the photos.

I sent a note to the Forum admin but no reply.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, mike

des

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 05:24:32 »
Yep - it's not bad enough that contributions from members have slowed down;  or that we haven't heard anything from any of the moderators or Tugmaster for a considerable time.  Now we have potential new members lining up but memberships aren't being processed.

There is clearly some interest from members (although not as much as, say, 18 months ago), but it does seem like we have been cast adrift by the hierarchy.

Probably the solution would be for one or several members to put their hands up to become moderators / site administrators.  But if the current moderators aren't watching the site, then they won't know that someone else is volunteering to help.  But volunteering time won't be enough - someone also has to pay the hosting fees to keep the forum alive.

By the way, this is not a criticism of all of those members who have not volunteered to help out - that is, almost all of us.  I know many of us work full or part time;  some are of an earlier vintage without the technical knowledge that may be needed;  some are not in good health;  and yet others may not have sufficient time for other reasons.

I really do hope that one way or another this forum can continue.  It has certainly helped me with my modelling, and it can still help others - but only if it stays alive.

Des.

deep diver

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 22:27:12 »
Hi there
Yes I've also noticed there's been little posted on this site I had some photo's I wanted to put on here when I put the post up with my Avenger / Hibernia that I wanted to sell and now I've got Windows 10 it was a different way of reducing the size of the photo and a mate downsized it for me. Trouble is I didn't know how he did it, CAN ANYBODY HELP as I've got some photo's I can post.

Keep the forum going
Regards

Kevin

This how I resize my photos in windows 10.

Open Photo
Right click on photo
From the drop down window click on "Open with"  a second window will open click on "Open with Microsoft office 2000" then click on "O.K"
 In the top left hand corner click on "Picture" a new window will open click on "Resize" to the right of the picture a new window will open "Resize settings"
Click on "Predefined with x height" click on the box and a new drop down window will open click on
 "Web Large 640 x 480 px"
Then click on "O.K"
In the top left hand corner click on "File" then click on "Save as" give the new photo a name ie "Copy1"

Hope this is of some help

Fred

That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 19:13:09 »
Good evening there gents :)
Been quite a while since I have poked my nose onto the forum here...but I am getting all sorts of emails and instant messages from guys looking to join and participate.
I have no idea what so ever what is going on with the admin..and he is the only one who can approve them.
Believe me when I tell you I have tried dozens of times to contact 'Tugmaster' the admin...with no replies.

To be honest...I've been trying to get out of this forum..as a "Mod"....the result of getting incredibly tired of dozens of "Notifications"..per week.

That said...I will keep at it.....

Hope you all are well and enjoying the hobby.
MIKE

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 05:12:10 »
Hi Mike

Certainly been awhile!

One fellow wanting to join contacted me - he's wanting to read through some old builds both by you and a couple of others that were frequent posters when we saw lots of activity from the west coast.

All well with you?

See your posts occasionally on the BC Nautical History Facebook page.

des

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 16:12:11 »
In the spirit of "Put up, or shut up", I have decided that I should "Put up".  Therefore if Tugmaster or any of the moderators are reading this, I am volunteering to become a moderator and / or site administrator.

Des

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 21:42:25 »
Hey Mike Claxton...good to hear from you!
I hear your model fleet has expanded even further. :)
MIKE

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 13:42:26 »
Fleet expanded a little but most need a bit of a rebuild. Slow going right now but I'll see if I can post a few photos - might liven the site up again!

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 02:03:38 »
Hi All,

Yes I'm still alive !

Sorry I've not been on for a fair while, just had a lot of disruption in my personal life and so the site has came down the list I'm sorry to say.

The other issue we have with the site is that we've been absolutely bombarded with spam registrations .....I currently have 10,974 "members" awaiting approval !!

So...there is no way to go through 10,000+ new registrations and find the honest ones from the spam so the only thing I can do is to re-set the new registrations and delete them all and start again. Now I know there will be friends out there that will be in that but could you spread the word to reapply if they wish to. I will in the mean time put some more security in to stop this happening again.

BUT ...before I do ...any feedback on this proposed process ? So don't ask your friends to re-register yet !!!

Also I note those who want, and don't want to become a moderator....we'll get to that bit after.

Thanks for your support guy, this is just a little fun site that I started 10+ years ago and I still personally finance it !!...but it still retains interest by many, which is a credit to you guys, cheers.

Thanks again and I look forward to your feedback.

Tugmaster
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:05:33 by TugMaster »
Ok, so I like a drop !

des

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 14:45:34 »
Thanks for that, Tugmaster.  Your post is re-assuring.

Yeah, 10,000+ new "membership applications" will take some wading through.  Deleting all of these applications will surely create some angst among those genuine applicants, but I agree - wading through them all and sending out email requests for confirmation is simply not practical.

But it's re-assuring to know that you are still with us.  And I note that Michael has resurrected his personal website, so he also has not yet reached Davy Jones' locker, although he is still quiet on this Forum.  And we have had one comment posted by another moderator in recent weeks.  So clearly, for reasons unknown to us, these guys' personal priorities have changed  -  and I know how quickly that can happen for any of us.

And I know that you personally fund this Forum.  Personally I think this is inequitable - there are still a lot of us who really appreciate this website and who would be disappointed if it should go dead just because our Founding Member should fail to make an annual payment to the website host for any reason.  I hope we can work something out to secure against this - with all respect, the site has become something more than one person's hobby - it helps us all.

Des.