Author Topic: For the right Vancouver Island Tugboat guy  (Read 335 times)

fireman2

For the right Vancouver Island Tugboat guy
« on: June 15, 2019, 11:09:57 »
Tomorrow is fathers day and I have been thinking about my dad a lot. He passed away 8 years ago, I lost my best friend and I miss him every day. That's why it took so long and why it was so hard to post this and ask if there was the "right guy" on Vancouver island who would like to come and have all the books and magazines my dad collected since he was a little boy growing up on Dallas Rd. in Victoria many years ago, who loved tugboats. I looked at this stuff for years after he passed and before today I could just not bring myself to let it go. 

This isn't a competition to determine who is the best candidate, it's just my attempt to be OK with giving all my dads tugboat stuff to the right guy...I think that's what my dad would have wanted and he would have been happy with knowing that someone who liked tugs as much as he did was able to enjoy all this material again.

Dad corresponded with people all over the world about tugs and had friends who wrote to him from the Netherlands, Nova Scotia and other places about tugs. One such gentleman was the original publisher of the Lekko international magazine and sent dad the first pre-publication copy still wrapped in its shell. Volume 1 issue 1 (1976 I believe) There are over 200 issues of this magazine, up to 2008 I think. There are Harbour and Shipping magazines from May 1975, Island tug and Barge stuff back to Oct 1947. There are a number of hardback books also about tugs like Vancouver Tugboat Company from 1970, Ocean Highway (1986), scrapbooks about his 2 favorite tugs the Sudbury and Sudbury11 and lots of other folders, books and magazines.

There is quite a bit of stuff here and anyone who would like it would probably need 2 or 3 good sized,very sturdy cardboard boxes to put it in. Please let me know if you have any interest in this.

My fathers son, Don....in Nanaimo

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
Re: For the right Vancouver Island Tugboat guy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 11:32:15 »
Hi Don

I'm hoping you received my earlier reply - there seemed to be a sending error.

If not let me know and I'll try and resend it.

Thanks,
Mike

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: For the right Vancouver Island Tugboat guy
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 03:19:33 »
Youíre doing a nice thing Don, Iím sure that your dadís things will give someone a lot of pleasure for a long time.
Steve