Author Topic: Avenger and Hibernia  (Read 15269 times)

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Avenger and Hibernia
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:09:39 »
The two tugs Avenger and Hibernia were sisters built by Cochrane and sons Selby in 1962
 they were   118'2" x 30'1" x 12' .     293 tons,      1800 Hp   single screw tugs built for work on the Thames and for firefighting duties at thames haven.
Similar in looks to the Dhulia and Moorcock but slightly longer and more powerfull and with the added firefighting platform with 4 monitors.
Avenger Official No 304381
Hibernia      "       "  304415.
 when sold away from the Thames  the Avenger went to the Great Lakes Canada and the Hibernia to Greece.

Barry you have a PM and E Mail George.
Tugs are for life      George B

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Re: Avenger and Hibernia
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:00:20 »
Thanks George, Brilliant....Makes me feel cool over here in the heat of summer!!

Barry
Barry

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:25:33 »
Did any one go to the Blackpool show this weekend, and see the new kit of the Hibernia on Metcalf Mouldings stand.
it looked awesome at 1;32 scale.
I've ordered my kit for Christmas delivery time, HAVE YOU. :) :) :)
I'll get it right ONE DAY

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 11:48:54 »
Hi nhp651 did you get any pictures.
Im sure me and modeltugman would love to see them.
 Regards john b
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:56:31 by tugnut »
john b

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:58:59 »
sorry tugnut,
i wasn't feeling too good on the day, forgot my camera and didn't stay long, so got no pics. neil.
but it was lovely.
due for release early december so the flyers said.

lightshipman

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 01:03:19 »
Has any one started the build yet, would like to see photos. Have sent off for the disc and build sheet, just waiting.
Andy
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:07:00 by lightshipman »
Keeping the Bristol Channel safe
Nav Aids Tender Skipper

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:08:42 »
  Hi Andy
I must admit that I am not entirely happy about the look and Quality of this kit,
THIS IS ONLY MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION !!!! I have the build disc and from looking through i have found several things that are not right in my mind the most obvious is the shape of the hull under the counter aft, it seems to be a lot more full than it should be ,not enough faired away in front of the prop. ( same mistake as the Cruiser hull from Mountfleet)Single screw tug hulls are very fine towards the prop to get a good water flow..The stem has far too much rake, her stem was almost vertical
the steering box on deck over the steering gear in this form was only fitted after the towmaster gear was fitted whe she had an open prop she had a full across box for the hydraulics and a wooden grating over it.look at the third picture in the post above
The rudder is the wrong size and shape, and the prop is too small her original prop was 4 bladed.
the lifeboat is set far too high and was a double ended boat until much later in her life
and her towhook is the wrong one until her towmaster conversion she had two Round type hooks.
enough said I could go on but I do not want to upset anybody.

All the best  George.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:19:36 by model tugman »

modelboatmayhem

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:58:55 »
A few photos from Warwick 2009....   :-*

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:05:39 »
Sorry to say this George, but you are wrong in your assumptions there that there is a fault with the lines and shape of the model compared with the real vessel both at the stern and bow.

How do I know???

Well, Dave Metcalf supplied me with the builders drawings some years ago that he obtained from ( I think) the National Maritime Museum, along with the shell plate drawings and the line drawings with the express request that I produce an accurate plug for him for hull and other aspects of the boat.

I produced the "plugs" for him for moulding purposes complete with plate lines and detailing EXACTLY to the drawings supplied as to the original builders, and I don't make mistakes like that which you are suggesting.been modelling far too long to do that sort of thing.

I made the hull plug from the section lines provided from the builders plans and as such, take it from me the  mouldings are exact to builders plans. 8) 8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:07:59 by nhp651 »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:12:29 »
  Sorry :-[   As I said it is only my opinion from being under her in drydock.but perhaps i am getting old :D :D

George.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:28:06 by model tugman »

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 08:59:32 »
Sorry I sounded arrogant, George, when I said I don't make mistakes......I make plenty just like anyone else.....but when I am doing something for someone else I make sure that anything I do is exactly as it should be, and correct any mistakes I make.

But mistakes...yes, I make them all the time...just start again, but I can assure you ( and I  thought it looked unusual at the time) that it is exactly as per builders plan.

Neil.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 14:06:17 »
Hello Niel I apreciate what your saying  I have tried to reduce and scan some of the Cochrane's drawings that I have of her GA to show the different stern frame and part of her lines plans which shows definate concave sections aft.and also a more upright stem. so perhaps we are looking at different sets of drawings, :All the best keep up the good work    George.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 14:14:51 by model tugman »

nhp651

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 14:33:41 »
there is certainly a discrepancy between the lines you have shown there and the hull as is, but i and any other modeller can only build from the lines that are given to them at the time, and the hull was taken from the builders lines suplied to dave and myself from the reputable scource..
neil. :)

madabout

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 12:57:18 »
Reading this with interest as I am thinking of making a scratch build of the Hibernia.  I wrote to the new owners of the Avenger (I don't have a lot of greek to ask about the Hibernia)  The owners were kind enough to send me some photos which I will endeavour to post here.  Will this end the discussion or will it not?  It will be interesting to hear what each party has to say though.  I haven't attached a picture before so I hope I get it right.

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 13:41:04 »
Hi Madabout thanks for pictures she looks good .
My brother was on her when she was new.

regards John
john b