Author Topic: Avenger and Hibernia  (Read 15230 times)

bourricot

Re: Avenger and Hibernia
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 15:21:25 »
I'm also reading this topic with interrest as I was thinking that the aft part of the hull was "too much full" not enough faired away in front of the prop. It was really a pity as this kind of concave lign are beautiful

Then I've seen on the hull form drawing and I was reassured, this hull was beautiful and not as the kit one with a "big belly" on the aft part. Now with the pics it clear  ;)

Bourricot

madabout

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 15:27:31 »
Hello Tugnut,

My dad was the skipper of the Hibernia from new. What a change from all those years going aboard the Challenge.  Remember my dad taking me aside and telling me he was joining the Avenger as 'master under training' to take over as second skipper of the Hibernia when she arrives.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08:52 »
Hi madabout you may find these pictures interesting the first couple are of the Avenger model that Tugnut (brother John )and I made a long while ago and she is in her original Elliot colours.
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 02:15:21 »
And these pictures are of the very much altered and modified (Complete rework really) Metcalf kit Avenger and the Hibernia towing at our lake last year

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 02:18:56 »
And a nice shot of the Avenger taking the strain

bourricot

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 02:40:14 »
Nice to see this two tugs working together, never again in reality  ;)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 04:28:12 »
Nice strong wheel wash there Geo. Beautiful model.
VGJQ

Kev30

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:07 »
Out of interest Model Tugman were both Avenger and Hibernia built to handle the oil tankers going into the refinery at Coryton hence the fire fighting aparatus fitted to both tugs? They are nice looking tugs and the models look great on the water.

Regards
Kevin

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 11:39:51 »
Hi Kevin,  yes they were built as fireboats to handle the bigger tankers using Thames Haven refineries,  a lot of people thought them old fashioned looking when compared to the Sun XXV,XXVI and XXVII,but they have proved their worth as they are both still going strong 50 years on.  Geo.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:42:07 by model tugman »

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 12:55:47 »
Hi madabout thought you might like to se these two tugs

John B
john b

lightshipman

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 13:50:09 »
How things have changed, Coryton is not recognisable anymore, it is being built as a container terminal, called London Gateway, will be interesting to see the tugs they will have here to berth the biggest container ships in the world. I have been working there on a survey boat over the last 18 months.
Keeping the Bristol Channel safe
Nav Aids Tender Skipper

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 02:40:22 »
Nice pics Bro.  :o :o

madabout

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 19:05:55 »
Fantastic model of the Challenge, Tugnut.  I learnt to throw a rope on her fore deck.  But most of the time I had to help the cook.  Not sure if most of them appreciated my 'help' though.  I worked on the tugs for almost 5 years, mainly out of woolwich on the Fossa.  I loved that little tug!
I made a scratch built model of the Moorcock back in 1974 while I was serving in the RAF in Cyprus.  Dad would send photos of the bits I needed more detail on, the capstan and the winch etc.  He even sent me little pots of the original paint so I could get the right colours.
I'll have a go at attaching a couple of pics.

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 08:44:20 »
Very nice model you certainly got it right.
Here is the old foosa lovely tugs ;)
regards John
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:02:01 by tugnut »
john b

ribfreak

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 23:27:31 »
Hi Folks!
Just read through some of the threads and found this one here- although it`s quite old I want to throw in my 5 cents:

I once found a picture of "Avenger IV" docked and it might clear things up alittle bit more. So IMHO there is a BIG difference in hull lines between the original tug and the hull sold by MM- the original tug is much finer in her lines aft and not so "bulky" underneath her stern- one can clearly see how far up her added rudder axles go!

Sad to say so because thatīs a definite no go for me for this otherwise MAGNIFICIENT kit...... ???
Regards,
Wolfgang

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 23:31:31 by ribfreak »