Author Topic: Footski's Springer Tanker  (Read 14566 times)

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Footski's Springer Tanker
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:44:05 »
Hi Guys,

Well I have the Springer bug and have started mine off. The basic hull is made and while waiting for some wood to be delivered, I have cracked on with the superstructure. It is supposed to be off Tessa PG, my sons tanker in the Caribbean. I am not sure if she looks a bit top heavy. Any advise would be welcome. If you are interested I will post as I go along, but don't want to bore you all...For now, see the pictures below.

Barry
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:47:58 by Footski »
Barry

tango

Re: Footski's Springer Tanker
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:28:12 »
hi Barry, glad to see you have the springer bug. I wouldn't worry too much about the height of the superstructure, a springer can weigh between 7lbs - 9lbs so they are quite heavy (mine weight just under 8lbs) However I can see a major problem occuring..................You won't be able to build just one you will end up with a fleet of them, they are addictive ;) ;) ;) ;)

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE JUST FOUND A 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 13:23:24 »
Hey Footski, looking good, post as you build maybe some newbies to Springers will follow !

TugMaster
Ok, so I like a drop !

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 02:03:32 »
Thanks Tugmaster, but I am a newbie to these Springers...great fun though...

A little more done on the superstructure..
Barry

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 07:25:29 »
Looks great Barry :)

Do you think all that housework is maybe a tad big for that hull though? ;D ;D ;D

Oh.. I see, that's the funnel on top there, not the hull;)
Disregard that last question.

Cheers ^-^
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:30:19 by tugs53 »
MIKE

bigford

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:43:54 »
she sure wont be nose heavy ;D ;D
looking good barry :P
more boats then money

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 06:59:07 »
Okay a little more progress has been made. The "keel" has been fitted and the hole cut ready for the prop shaft. I have included the prop which gives no ore than an idea of it's final placing. The end of the keel has been cut out ready to take the brass rudder support.

As for the superstructure, I know it seems large but it is very light. It is ready for spraying white, but not quite sure what to treat it with before paint?? Any ideas guys and galls..

Barry
Barry

manxman

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:48:04 »
Hi Barry,

The little one's looking good.
Prep ! - depends on what your intending to paint her with (please - don't say "paint") these little girls were / are intended for fun and the opportunity to do what you like. This may be the perfect time to use up all those part used household paints you've got laying around. Everyone has a part used tin of white gloss somewhere, in which case you can use plain old undercoat (thinned down so it penetrates the wood) a couple of coats with a rub down between and the same with the gloss.  If you do use undercoat DON'T go near it with aerosols - you'll end up with orange peel / blisters.

Cheers - Ken
No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 10:05:41 »
Hi Barry,

The little one's looking good.
Prep ! - depends on what your intending to paint her with (please - don't say "paint") these little girls were / are intended for fun and the opportunity to do what you like. This may be the perfect time to use up all those part used household paints you've got laying around. Everyone has a part used tin of white gloss somewhere, in which case you can use plain old undercoat (thinned down so it penetrates the wood) a couple of coats with a rub down between and the same with the gloss.  If you do use undercoat DON'T go near it with aerosols - you'll end up with orange peel / blisters.

Cheers - Ken

Ken,

I have some Humbroll gloss white in aerosol format. Should I just give it a few coats of this without priming the wood first??

Barry

Barry

manxman

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 19:58:57 »
Hi Barry,

I'm not really the right person to answer questions on painting, as I've never painted one ! - mine are just varnished.
I would imagine it would take several coats of the aerosol to cover the joints and wood grain with it being so thin.
Suggest you try on a piece of scrap first and see how that turns out before committing to the deck houses.

Cheers - Ken
No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 22:33:52 »
Thanks ken,

I will keep you posted..
Barry

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 07:57:06 »
Belay that painting......I will sort it out later.....For now, a little more done. The rudder post is in and the rudder support done. Drilled some holes in a brass block for the support and so far all is well.

The only problem I have is with the prop shaft which I ordered from red Bank models and got very quickly. Excellent service.......but noone told me we had changed to metric......so I have a decimal shaft and imperial prop and never shall the two come together....

I hope to sort this little problem out shortly.

Barry
Barry

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 08:21:27 »
I try not to mix paint brands - had a few hiccups and lots of sanding with a few. Found using the auto primer with a filler in it first is a good start - it will fill the grain a bit, probably 3-4 coats outside in the sun will work. Sand it again and prime with the next level primer and then your finish colour. Seen fair results from others using this method -

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 06:18:02 »
Well i sorted the rudder proble out. i simply recut the thread on the prop to the right size fro the shaft.

painted up the superstructure. Followed the advise and after several coats of sanding sealer, I gave it 3 or 4 coats of matt white. Now the work starts on it.
Barry

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 00:18:41 »
A little detail has now been applied to the superstructure. Thanks for those letters Mike (tugs53).
Barry