Author Topic: Rough weather  (Read 3694 times)

hama

Rough weather
« on: September 01, 2008, 12:04:23 »
As autumn is getting closer each day, and "Deadliest catch" is starting again tomorrow in my country, I was inspired to take some action pictures again. I hope you like them because I like taking them!

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
Re: Rough weather
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 12:13:58 »
They are wicked pictures :)
 You must be be very brave to put your boat in that.
 Nice ones :)  hama.
 John b
john b

bigford

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:24:19 »
hama  what ship is that? looks very real ;)
more boats then money

hama

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 14:12:21 »
Hi there, and thanks for your nice comments!
Well I dont know about brave, rather stupid Id say. Nearly lost her once when I got seaweed in the prop and the fuse blew. She drifted into a bay covered in broken ice where she lay for about five hours before I could rescue her. When I finally reached her the radar was still spinning and the lights were on! Anyway, I now try to have a plan B when I sail in these conditions, should something go wrong. After all, there are only plastic men on board my ships, but id hate to loose them! As for the ship, its the ORSV kit from HFM, made up into a Maersk vessel of my own fantasy.
Chears!
Hama.

Captain Jack

• Uniform of the day at sea?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 15:59:36 »
How did you manage to keep water out of the acess port in the cargo deck? I'm trying to come up with a way to seal the Savarile kit.
The attachment shows the gaping hole in question....
Fair winds, and following seas....
Captain Jack sends>>>>>

bigford

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 16:03:03 »
jack i thought the Savarile was finished?
 the best way to seal the deck is with clear packing tape
or if the deck is black use electrical tape
more boats then money

Captain Jack

• Uniform of the day at sea?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 16:09:12 »
She is indeed finished. There is but a piece of engraved balsa that sits over that hole that acesses the motors. Only gravity holds it in place at this point. I'd like to come up with a seal that doesn't have to be screwed in place, so that it's easily removed for shaft lubing and such. The tape may be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion.
Fair winds, and following seas....
Captain Jack sends>>>>>

Stefan

• tugboats.de
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 23:41:55 »
Hi,
how about glueing the deck with the silicone for bathrooms??? I did it with all my models and I never had a problem with water :D. In Germany and I think in all other countries you can buy colourable(?) silicone. In a german bookstore you can buy a book about making your model safe. If there are any interests I can put some scans in this forum and translate the describtion into english. ;)

Best wishes
Stefan 8)
"Splice the mainbrace!"

hama

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 00:03:28 »
Captain jack!
My hatch has a small coaming, I put on Vaseline grease around the hatch before securing with six screws. Not an ideal solution perhaps. I would also like to find out the perfect way to go. On my next boat I will try to make a recess around the hole and a notch on the hatch that goes into the recess with either rubber or grease in it. Dont know if I described this correct. Please let me know what you come up with.
Stefan!
Would be great if you could put up some pages here. Im amazed that there is even a book on this subject! Thanks in advance! When you say that yoy glue with sillicone, is it possible to remove the hatch again? My experience with sillicone is that its pretty strong.
Cheers guys!
Hama.

Stefan

• tugboats.de
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 02:25:17 »
Hama!
You only need a very thin layer of silicone, so it is no problem to remove it. Please note, it is easier to remove this layer instead of starting a salvage or use real glue. :) ;) As I say: I use this method for years with not trouble.

Best wishes
Stefan 8)

P.S.: Scans will follow during next days.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:47:10 by Stefan »
"Splice the mainbrace!"

hama

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 04:00:53 »
OK Stefan, and thanks!
Ill watch out for those scans.
Hama.