Author Topic: wimpey seahunter  (Read 10537 times)

garabaldy

wimpey seahunter
« on: September 05, 2008, 06:23:15 »
Hi everyone.

Here are some pictures of my wimpey seahunter build.  Shes not finished yet but im getting there.  I bought the hull form models by design and its excellent.  The plan also has lots of detail.  Shes powered by 2 mfa850 motors turning 50mm brass props.  I have an action  p94 providing speed control.  There is a bow thruster too.  I also intend on installing lights and working fire monotors.  You will see i have painted the funnels black but im regretting this now and will be painting them yellow when i get my hands on some yellow paint!

hope you enjoy

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: wimpey seahunter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:40:25 »
Very Nice work there Garabaldy :) :)
She's going to be quite the model!
Looking forward to seeing more of your progress 8)
How long is the hull?

Cheers
MIKE

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:42 »
Very nice....Is that a plan from the ABCO, as was, company in England?

Barry
Barry

Oldlugger

• www.theholidaymoviecompany.com
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:59:57 »
Ditto the above comments! Very nice vessel with nice powerful lines...

Simon  :o

garabaldy

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:31:28 »
thanks everyone.  The plan is the abco one i believe.  I have just been painting the funnels yellow as the black just doesnt quite cut it plus thats what the real one had.  Trouble is, spraying yellow over black isn't all that easy!  Il post some pics later tonight.

Had her sailing in a local pond yesterday but the props got clogged up with weed very quickly and by the time i got all the weed off the props my transmitter started beeping tellming that batteries were flat  :'(  Il try again mid week!

Gary

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:01:12 »
The CO in Abco was Colin, a truely good model builder who was a friend of the family, before he sadly took his own life in the mid 90's. Nice to see that some of his legacies still survive.

Barry
Barry

hama

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:14:09 »
Garabaldy, lovely boat! She will look great on the water. How big is she?
Keep up the good work!!
Hama

garabaldy

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 14:28:15 »
Thanks again everyone.  Im looking forward to aquiring all the fittings because she still looks a bit simple...

ok ive been doing some more painting.  Ive changed the funnels to yellow but im still undecided on how it looks.  What do you guys think, its deffinately better but im not sure its quite right.  Have a look at this link - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2564496612_9a3afb1a15.jpg?v=0

some of the edges of the paint is a little rough as i have not touched anything up yet due to not having any brushes or paint to touch up with!  all the painting so far has been done with halfords areosols.

Going sailing on thursday evening, will be taking it to a large loch where the waves get big so she can get some proper sea trials.  Dont worrie, il be bringing the camera so i can come back here and show and tell!

Here are the pics,

garabaldy

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 14:30:17 »
The CO in Abco was Colin, a truely good model builder who was a friend of the family, before he sadly took his own life in the mid 90's. Nice to see that some of his legacies still survive.

Barry

The drawing is fantastic.  Theres lots of detail to aid a first time builder aswell in power choice, batteries etc.. 

bigford

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 18:05:49 »
she would look great in smit colors :) :) ::) hmmmmm......
more boats then money

Navy2000

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 13:24:47 »
Do you have a web link to the company that you bought the hull from?

Duane

garabaldy

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 14:05:47 »
metcalf mouldings http://www.metcalf-mouldings.com/ but i believe they have now been taken over by models by design http://modelsbydesign.co.uk/

garabaldy

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 03:48:58 »
was out sailing last night, the waves in the loch were huge!  Well huge for a model boat anyway!  The rear deck was awash most of the sail!  Great fun though, she performed really well.  Got lots of pics too,

hama

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 06:37:55 »
Wow! Great pictures, do it again! Please? She looks fantastic, any water inside?
Hama.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 07:37:48 »
Ditto on that :) :)
She certainly rides the waves like a long OSV should 8) 8)

Cheers
MIKE