Author Topic: Glueing Plywood/softwood  (Read 4216 times)

Cragsider

Glueing Plywood/softwood
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:01:22 »
Any ideas on the best glue to use with plywood and softwood?
I'm thinking  particularly in relationship with a springer, I intend using 6mm marine ply for the hull sides, front and rear panels, 2mm ply for the hull bottom,
I want to use 6mm softwood for deck support and corner gussets, I intend fastening the deck support and gussets with small brass screws after applying the appropriate glue, but I find there is so many different brands and types and different opinions it gets alittle confusing  ???
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Peter.
Peter.

tango

Re: Glueing Plywood/softwood
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:32:56 »
Hi Peter, I use ordinary PVA woodworkers glue on all of our springers and have not had any problems, it's not 100% waterproof, more like water resistant but you will be sealing the inside anyway (I hope!!)

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE JUST FOUND A 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.

Cragsider

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 12:56:49 »
Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the advice.
 I intend painting a wood sealant onto the paneling inside and also running some sichoflex (The dreaded black automotive sealant) along the seams?
Will this suffice or is there a better way of doing it?
Peter.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 15:31:09 »
I used the same glue - put two hulls together on Sunday. Will probably give the inside a coat of Cold Cure before putting the motor in. Will do the underside of the deck as well. Fills any gaps and seals it.

Gramps

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 22:36:04 »
PVA or even better aliphatic, then coat with polyester resin

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:26:34 »
HI CRAGSIDER ; There is a polyester called  S1 that would be good for you job . So lttle goes alongway to coat the entire hull . It really penatrates into the wood to bond ,and seal it . Don't do it in a confied area .

PUFFIN

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 19:48:21 »
HI all ; Corection  to my last posting .  S1 is a 2 part epoxy, not polyester resin .   PUFFIN

Cragsider

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 02:30:03 »
Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I intend to build a few springers, as the original plans are on A4 paper,for a bit of fun I will be upsizing the plans by photocopying the original A4 to A3, A2 and if it is practical sizewise A1 and building one to each set of plans.
So I will do a bit of experimenting with the suggestions.

Peter.
Peter.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 05:59:51 »
Just did a similar task - I enlarged the sideviews to 11 x 17 - can do that in the office, held the 18 inch length to check it. Taped the two overlaid for the length and then traced the shape onto a clear mylar sheet. Transfered the shape using good old carbon paper onto the wood and cut them out. Have two hulls ready for the bottoms to go on. I'll post a couple of photos when I get home.

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:43:09 »
HI CRAGSIDER ; Just to clear up about S 1  is aepoxy  that is realy thin and good for glueing  . It realy penatrates into the wood and seals it .  It is also good for sealing fiberglass , as fiberglass [polyester resin]  is not water proof.    PUFFIN

Gramps

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 13:28:11 »
I think that needs to be put into context.
Polyester resin is perfectly fine for model boat usage, it only becomes a problem when it is constantly immersed, such as on full size boats which need treating every 2 years