Author Topic: Amsterdam Tug Model  (Read 47189 times)

clav

Amsterdam Tug Model
« on: October 16, 2008, 19:50:01 »
Hi Guys! I have a set tug "AMSTERDAM"

Note:  Message sent to Clav asking for pictures to be re-loaded (28/01/12  tugs53)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 18:30:17 by tugs53 »

manxman

Re: Tug"AMSTERDAM" Build
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 20:38:29 »
Excellent work there Clav, I've had a sneak view of your Photofile page, she looks really great

Cheers - Ken
No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 23:26:00 »
That looks a real interesting build and by the lok of her has a lot of wood in it..
Barry

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:19:18 »
Great progress :) :)
Barry

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 13:28:54 »
Nice work so far Clav!
Lot's more work than the Aziz, huh?
MIKE

NotSoOldSalt

• I'll take that, and that, and that......
Wijsmuller "Amsterdam"
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 03:58:18 »
I am building the Artesania Latina "Amsterdam" and modeling her after Wijsmuller's "Amsterdam".

As anyone who is building her knows there are very few pictures available for reference.

I sent an email off to Svitzer asking for some pics from different angles and they obliged by sending me 10 pictures that I have never seen before.

I am posting them here for everyone to enjoy.

Mike

P.S. Per Svitzer's terms you can share these on modeling forums but cannot use them for publication or commercial purposes

NotSoOldSalt

• I'll take that, and that, and that......
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 04:03:50 »
Hi clav,

Checkout these pics I just posted of the Wijsmuller "Amsterdam", they may come in handy during your build!

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=1042.0

Mike

clav

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 08:40:22 »
Thanks Mike

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
Re: Wijsmuller "Amsterdam"
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 13:03:30 »
Great pictures i built two and painted one in those colours
 john b
john b

Toot

Amsterdam Tug Model
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 14:53:03 »
  :'( I recently bought an old model with GF hull and ply upperworks.  It is turning into something of a "lemon" as all the fittings are "exploding" and can only be described as rotting.  I have searched the internet with big G but the only reference I can find to the boat or the kit is for the Artesania Latina kit which has a moulded ABS hull and which shouldn't be available here in NZ anyway.
Anyone got any info on this ship and how I can get some new 1/50 scale winches, water cannons etc?
I'm a very new newbie to this world!!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: Amsterdam Tug Model
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 17:53:57 »
If memory serves me correct, the early 'Amsterdam' kits has 'GRP' hulls.
Also, I remember reading about some..hmmmm....... GRP copies, that hit the market about 10-15 yrs ago.

Lot's of fittings are available in 1/48 scale.

Here's a link you may find interesting:

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=996.0
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 18:11:54 by tugs53 »
MIKE

Toot

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 20:41:57 »
 cool Thanks Mike.  I will certainly look there; trouble is so many dealers/suppliers won't deal internationally.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 03:17:34 »
Welcome to the Forum, Toot. This is a good looking model and would make for a great rebuild thread. :) :)
VGJQ

oldiron

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 18:39:01 »
  I did the Amsterdam from a mid 1980's version of the Artesania kit. At that time the hull was plank on frame and the upper works were plywood. There are a lot of errors from the prototype that Artesania never corrected.
  You would be better off changing most of the fittings to better quailty or scratchbuilt. All the aft deck winching arrangement is wrong on in the kit. I can provide pictures of what it does look like if you wish. you may be better scratch building this area.
  I also replaced the cast handrail stanchions with brass jobs. Worked much better.

John Vincent

:'( I recently bought an old model with GF hull and ply upperworks.  It is turning into something of a "lemon" as all the fittings are "exploding" and can only be described as rotting.  I have searched the internet with big G but the only reference I can find to the boat or the kit is for the Artesania Latina kit which has a moulded ABS hull and which shouldn't be available here in NZ anyway.
Anyone got any info on this ship and how I can get some new 1/50 scale winches, water cannons etc?
I'm a very new newbie to this world!!

Toot

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 12:35:54 »
 confused.  Thanks for the replies.  Every time I go near the model something else falls off! I didn't tink I was that clumsy.  The fire monitors have fallen off ro come apart and I can't find any clear pics of the originals or sources of supply. Likewise winches.  Some photos don't show the derrick over the stern deck and that is fine as that came off too when I brushed accidentally against it.  Would like to see a better view of the big towing winch which seems to replace it.  Starting to get downhearted and to think i wasted my cash.