Author Topic: Amsterdam Tug Model  (Read 45162 times)

oldiron

Re: Amsterdam Tug Model
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 14:23:48 »
  Don't get downhearted Toot. You're on a learning curve. What are you using to fasten your castings to the model?
 Do you want me to send more closeup pictures of mine for assistance?

John

Toot

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 15:24:06 »
 :-\ That's the problem.  2nd hand model so don't know!  By the way they are disintegrating I suspect starch paste (LoL).  More pics would be a great help.  Thanks.  Pity the original has gone to the great salvage area in the sky.
Seriously I think the problem is the glue/cement has not stuck to the underlying paint.  Academic really anyway because of the way the white (We have another name for that!)metal has "rotted".

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 22:42:00 »
hi toot you must mean    sh one t      metal
Tugs are for life      George B

oldiron

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 04:59:12 »
Toot:
I'm attaching some more pics of the details on my Amsterdam. Don't forget, mine is about 25 years old. I rebuilt it about 10 years ago and its been this way ever since..
 You're quite right about the quality of the fittings. They're terrible. I replaced all except the windlass with scratch built fittings to more closely resemble the prototype items. I used combination's of brass and wood to get the job done.
  I cut down the engine room cover height by about an 1/8 to 3/16 inch. The original is too high. I also made a proper anchor pocket that lets the anchor sit in flush with the hull as it supposed to do. I removed the aft wood deck covering and left it as a simulated steel decking.
  I also made new bollards from brass tubing . Likewise, the lifting boom I constructed from telescoping brass tubing to the correct dimension.

John

oldiron

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 05:02:15 »
More pics of the Amsterdam. The two brass bollards on the fore deck are void of paint because they are connected to the battery. In order to recharge the battery I connect my charger to them with alligator clips. Works well for me.

John

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:08 »
More pics of the Amsterdam. The two brass bollards on the fore deck are void of paint because they are connected to the battery. In order to recharge the battery I connect my charger to them with alligator clips. Works well for me.

John

'Brilliant'!!!
MIKE

mersey dave

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 05:35:41 »
Hi tugs, the brass bollards you use for charging great idea but tell me are they connected all the time even when sailing if so are they a problem when wet.

regards dave.

oldiron

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 06:00:37 »
Hi tugs, the brass bollards you use for charging great idea but tell me are they connected all the time even when sailing if so are they a problem when wet.

regards dave.

Yup, they're connected all the time. I haven't had problem with wet because water seldom gets up that far on this vessel. If it does, the bollards are spaced so far apart it would be very difficult to get water to stay between them enough to short the battery.

John

mersey dave

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 06:45:43 »
thanks john again great idea.

regards dave.

tbone

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 21:15:13 »
I believe the Amsterdam kit is discontinued.  I found one locally, brand new in the box.  I considered it but have decided on a Nederland as I've always wanted one.  The more I see the Amsterdam on the forums the more it appeals to me.  If the price was better I'd probably pick it up...

Mac525

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 22:21:29 »
Hey toot where do you live I have an amsterdam hull that is never going to be an amsterdam but i have all the fittings sitting there in boxes I will use them over time but if there is something you need let me know
Cam

Toot

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 00:14:18 »
Thanks guys.  I haven't looked at the forum for a while 'cos talk was a bit slow starting.  Those pics are great and will be a great help!  Also, thanks for the offer of bits but Ca to NZ is probably further than an easy swap distance. Still, thanks I will keep the offer in mind.  Have managed to unstick part of the upper works so far with the intention of re-sticking it plumb and properly lined up.  Must be large lumps of CA on her as de-bonder undid it in no time.  A relief as I envisaged breaking something important otherwise. Have photographed the present boom rig before removing but the pics will make that effort redundant.  Thanks - like yours a lot more.
Cheers all.  Must come back more regularly!

Toot

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 00:16:22 »
Just another thought.  About where is the correct waterline?  No anti fouling on this model and it lookswrong!  I intend to make that one of my first changes to the hull.

oldiron

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:49 »
Does this picture of the protype help for the water line?

John

Toot

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 02:05:34 »
Thanks John.  I see the lifting boom seems to have been replaced with a towing (?) winch of around 7 - 8 ft. diam.  I think I like that config better.