Author Topic: Amsterdam Tug Model  (Read 47910 times)

oldiron

Re: Amsterdam Tug Model
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 03:32:13 »
Thanks John.  I see the lifting boom seems to have been replaced with a towing (?) winch of around 7 - 8 ft. diam.  I think I like that config better.

You'll notice she also lost her lifeboats in favour of the life canisters

John

Toot

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 12:47:16 »
No I hadn't but that has to be good!  Any idea how close to the end this shot was taken?  I am guessing pretty near because of the big winch.

oldiron

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 13:27:10 »
No I hadn't but that has to be good!  Any idea how close to the end this shot was taken?  I am guessing pretty near because of the big winch.

I don't know for sure, but I'll bet you're right.

John

oztruck

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 21:26:35 »
Hi guys, new here. "Toot" don't be put off by what falls off, when I got my "Amsterdam" it had the same problem "dropsie", seemed like every time I looked at it any thing made of white metal would fall off.
 I decided to repaint it and rename it to the "Tenace" a French Navy tug.
It is a work in progress, with still a bit to do on the old girl.
I found that if a fitting falls off that I want to keep, I drill a 1mm hole in its base and fix a piece of wire in the hole, then drill a hole where I want it to go and secure it with with glue, so far so good. Works for me.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 21:28:09 by oztruck »

Toot

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 21:56:45 »
Hey!  That looks nice.  You give me hope that life might return after all to the old girl! :-[

Toot

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 22:02:13 »
  :( I'm getting quite a gallery here on the Amsterdam.  Is there some point in uploading them as a gallery?  If so - where?

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 22:10:35 »
hey Toot,
I've got an Amsterdam in Wellington. I'm a real magpie so I may still have the plans and instructions booklet. I'll have a look tonight, otherwise I can always take some photos of whatever details you need. The detail parts are not very complicated so you could probably remake them pretty easily.
My Amsterdam superstructure is a bit high and has caught the wind here a few times on the harbour and capsized. Tends to fry the ESCs and motor not to mention ruin the afternoon. Very embarassing.
Oztruck's French navy is a good alternative colour scheme. The Malabar was previously stationed at Muroa Atoll.
Steve

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 22:53:01 »
  :( I'm getting quite a gallery here on the Amsterdam.  Is there some point in uploading them as a gallery?  If so - where?

Toot,

You can post a specific Gallery and put it in "Modern Tugs". Entitle it something like "Model Tug Photos of Amsterdam". In your main text, stress it is only a gallery and not for comment. You can upload only 3 images per post so let me know when you have finished it.

Barry
Barry

tbone

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 23:07:43 »
I had the chance to buy one of these kits recently but was unsure so passed on it.  Seeing all these pics has me wondering if it was the right decision...

Tbone

cowboy

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 23:11:18 »
I know that OZTRUCK has the manual for the amsterdam as I gave it to him.Hey OZTRUCK why dont you show everyone your PINK version!!!!!!!LOL ;D

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 00:43:04 »
Hey OZTRUCK why dont you show everyone your PINK version!!!!!!!LOL ;D

Sounds interesting.......

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

oldiron

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 01:16:29 »
 Here are some shots of the French Navy version of the tug. There were only three of this design built, aas I understand it. One civilian, Amsterdam, and two for the French navy.
  Amsterdam was originally built as Hamburg, but was sold to Weismuller (sp?) early in its carrier..

John

oldiron

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 01:19:14 »
Here is the shot of Hamburg (Amsterdam)
John

oldiron

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 01:24:36 »
When it comes fastening fittings, particularly things like boolards, I usually make them from brass. I also make them so a pin projects down from the bottom of the fitting. A hole is drilled into the deck and the fitting attached with a good quality bonding agent such as epoxy.
  This way I have no fear of them being knocked off and , in many cases such as bollards, I can actually use them if I have to..

John

Toot

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 01:40:19 »
Crikey!  I go off to SSME club meeting and come home to a veritable mass of info.  Thanks guys. Now you have me wondering if I should do a refit for the Fench navy.  Mururoa would be kinda topical here in NZ if anyone remembers Rainbow Warrior.  Malaba you said?
Thanks for the info on a gallery.  Anyone else interested in such a project?  Take a while since I've been given so many.